Sunday, September 2, 2012

In the Home Office: Third, Fourth, Fifth Grade Book Menus

This year I have planned my lessons for every class for each week for the entire year.  It's really just a pacing guide because I have found that the end of the year sneaks up on me (hard to imagine in September) and I wonder where all the time went.  

Part of my plans include book talks and book trailers for every class once a month.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but I have to admit that last year my book talks were few and far between.

One problem (or wonderful challenge) with book talks is that there is then a mad rush for the books I've book talked and there are inevitable hurt feelings and discouraged students.  So I decided to create these book talk menus.  Students will leave their menus in the Library (any hints for managing the paper would be appreciated) for all third, fourth, and fifth graders.  Each time I book talk new books or highlight oldies but goodies, students can jot down the books of interest to them.  They will then have a running list of titles to chose from throughout the year.

Any suggestions for the format of my book menu?  I haven't made the photocopies yet. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs