Monday, April 15, 2013

Pocket Poems Activity with A Sock is a Pocket for Your Toes


I have to confess I have not been keeping up very well with National Poetry Month.

Probably because my school celebrates poetry in February, but no matter!

Every month is poetry month!

Yesterday I did an activity with my second graders that, um, I did with them last year as first graders.

They were very forgiving and hey, they came up with some new pocket poems.

I always enjoy reading them - they are so clever!

Start by reading A Sock is a Pocket for Your Toes:  A Pocket Books by Liz Garton Scanlon.


Then, copy and cut these strips, having the students create their own pocket poems.  

Here are some great examples from my second graders:

A Desk is a Pocket for Your Pencil 
A Body is a Pocket for Your Life
A Book is a Pocket for Your Learning
A Head is a Pocket for Your Brain
 &
A TV is a Pocket for Your DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs