Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Why I Bought It Wednesday

Hello Good Readers!

I just received my first book shipment of 2015!  Some people need to bungie-cord off bridges or go sky-diving to get their heart pumping, but for me just opening those boxes of new books is enough to make my heart go pitter-patter.

Here are five books and why I bought them.

You can see the others on my Pinterest Boards, here and here

Image of Food Trucks! Written and illustrated by Mark Todd

Why I Bought It:  No, it's not because I loved the move Chef, although that may have had something to do with with it.  Each page highlights a different type of food truck and gives a description in verse.  It's cataloged as an "E" book but I may have to move it to my 811s as I will definitely want to highlight this book when doing poetry with my students. Additional food-related quick facts add even more interest to this colorful, energetic book!  Here's the review in the New York Times book section.  Bon appetite!


Why I Bought It:  Well kiss my brain for actually purchasing this book BEFORE it won a Pure Belpre award this year.  But really I buy every thing by Duncan Tonatiuh, including a perennial favorite Dear Primo:  A Letter to My Cousin.


Why I Bought It:  GASP!  Where have you been all my life?  The idea behind this book is genius and it is executed to perfection.  Selected artists are asked to draw their favorite animal and to write a brief description of why.  The styles are so different and each are recognizable.  Everything from Bad Kitty to Lucy Cousins.  A beautiful book benefiting the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Massachusetts.


Why I Bought It:  So here is a lesson on Listen To Your Students.  I read this book.  I have to say I did not care for it.  My students asked me to buy it.  THEY LOVE IT.  Lesson:  Your School Library Is Not About The Librarian.  Here's the book trailer with a wonderfully dreamy description by the author Katherine Rundell.


Why I Bought It:  I am a huge fan of picture book biographies.  I read them to all of my students, even my youngest.  Here is a book by Deborah Heiligman about a person I had never even heard of before:  the Hungarian mathematician Paul Erdos.  I haven't read it yet because it's been snatched up my our school's math coach.  We have so many boys who love math in our school {and girls too} that I think this is going to be a very popular pick.

And that's Why I Bought It for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs