Wednesday, December 22, 2010

In the Home Office: Teaching Time in the Library

I'm lying low today as I am recuperating from a terrible cold.  It is amazing what an entire day of sleep plus several episodes of The Office can do for the body and soul.  After this post I will be busy Lysoling the entire house.  I don't think Lysol is meant for human surfaces, but I really am tempted...
a time-telling read-aloud recommended by Pat @plynnsal

Grade One is perpetually learning about telling time to the hour, so I created a sheet for 1st graders to fill out when they are finished checking out their books.  Because the sheet included an image from Scholastic (a hand-less clock) I am not posting it here, but here's my suggestion:

:: Open a Word document

:: Insert clipart of a handless clock (mine had googly eyes)

:: Under the clock type "I checked out my book at ____________ : ____________ a.m. / p.m.

:: Have sheets and a pencil available at the checkout desk.  Students can refer to the clock in the library to draw the big and little hands.  Then they can write the hour and minutes and circle a.m. or p.m.

You can front load this activity by going over what time Library time starts and ends  and whether they come in the a.m. or the p.m.

You could do a cute display with their completed clocks that says, "It's Always Time to Check Out a Book"!

I'll be trying this activity in January - I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs